Friday, February 7, 2020

Merle thoughts (what could have been?) from a TWD new watcher-UNR

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Apologies since this subject has probably been done to death, but I've only recently binged the show (will be starting season 9 soon) and I just wanted to get some thoughts out about Merle and what could have been (?).

I really disliked Merle in his introduction (as we were supposed to I'm sure), but Michel Rooker gave such an undeniably great/memorable performance, so I was pleased about his reintroduction in season 3 and found his entire arc quite exciting. His death was memorable, but also an incredible shame to me. I couldn't help but feel like we'd been conned out of a fascinating character the very same season he was reintroduced, and just when the audience were probably starting to warm up to and feel some sympathy for him, to add insult to injury. I know that was likely the intent of the writers; to add some punch to his death scene (which admittedly did let him go out with a bang) but I couldn't help but feel like we'd been deprived of so much more potential.

No slam against Norman Reedus, nor the character of Daryl, but I do personally think Merle is the more interesting brother, especially paired with others in the show. Imagining him teamed up with the likes of Rick, Michonne or Glenn for example would have provided so much more tension and chance for growth...it was clear that the character was showing some kind of regret, or at least his loyalty to Daryl proved that Merle wasn't entirely without a heart or moral code. For this reason I do think it's possible Merle could eventually have become a valued and integrated member of the group. I can easily see him being an asset to Rick whenever he was in a more brutal mindset (the Terminus stuff for example), and it seemed that no matter how much of an asshole Merle could be, Daryl was showing himself to more than capable of keeping his brother in line. Sure there would have been lots of conflict between characters in the beginning, but this would have added needed drama within the group. It also would have been rewarding to see a character like Merle gradually get along with the others and 'redeem' himself in that way. And who knows, a later death would have been even more poignant for that extra character development.

I guess in part I'm bitter because so many less memorable characters (imo) lasted much longer, and Rooker was just so damn entertaining in the role. I feel like the show benefited so much more with in-group tension (and even humour) with a guy like Merle. Even if he didn't last too much longer, I wanted to see him play out his role as the 'bad guy' of the group, yet still working with them. That's the kind of trope I love.

This probably all sounds like a massive whinge about killing off a fave, but I'd love to know what anyone else thinks. Do most people believe Merle died at the right time? Or should he have bit the dust a bit later on? I feel like whatever happened, he still would have gone out in some memorable way.

Apologies again if I'm just reiterating the obvious. Being new to the show like a slowpoke I just have so many feelings about so many things right now!

https://ift.tt/37abAz4 Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment