Wednesday, January 15, 2020

[RL Science] Zip Line deliveries + Power Skeleton = PAINFUL DAY-UNR

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

So, while doing a standard order moving massive amounts with ziplines, making me take multiple trips, I started thinking, "boy, that's a lot of stress on Sam's arm, isn't it?"

And that's when I wondered how much stress Sam could go through carrying heavy amounts with a zipline?

Now, I am not a scientist, I'm not MatPat or Austin Hourigan or Kyle Hill or other awesome science dudes who do this kind of thing. BUT, here's what I've figured on notepad estimates and observations.

With Power Skeleton level 3 my max carry weight is 330kg. But that 330kg doesn't count Sam's suit, backpack, straps, and BB. I couldn't find Norman Reedus' weight but I did find his height (178cm). Upper tier ideal weight for his height is 79kg, and given that he's of athletic build and what is surely a non-negligable weight of his suit + BB, I'm going to use that amount, giving us a total possible mass of 409kg. To put this in context, that's within the typical mass of an Arabian riding horse. All on his arm.

This is more than the world record for the one-arm deadlift (301kg). And with a no-equipment world record of 460kg for a two-armed deadlift, to be able to hold all that weight with just one arm is a superhuman feat in of itself.

Now let's talk the speed of the zipline. Using two ziplines at 300m apart I clocked a travel time of 20.11 seconds, a velocity of 14.9m/s. That's a good velocity for a racehorse.

Funny, you'd think he'd have the size and speed of a mule.[/badjoke]

Anyway, one thing I've noticed is that the acceleration, and also deceleration, of the ziplines is almost instant. 0 to 14.9m/s in just a couple frames as far as I can tell. Using OmniCalculator.com and giving an eyeball acceleration of 0.1s, that gives me 60941 Newtons of force.

Remember when the Mythbusters dropped a piano onto the roof of the house? That was 53000 Newtons.

So a fully encumbered Sam is experiencing more force than a piano falling from height.

On his arm.

Probably a dozen or more times at once.

Someone get that man some painkillers!

https://ift.tt/2NwAfqy Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment