Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Treat Them Like Pop-Up Ads -- An elegant solution to the problem of Universes Beyond cards at the EDH table.-UNR

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

I believe it is a near universal opinion that pop-up ads are undesirable, intrusive, and aggravating. I also believe that when confronted with pop-up ads almost everyone seeks to close them as quickly as possible. I have never known anyone to just shrug their shoulders and accept the presence of the pop-up ad while they try to use their computer as intended.

I believe that Universes Beyond cards should be viewed as no different than pop-up ads when played at the table during a game of Magic. Being forced to spend an hour looking at Daryl Dixon, as played by Norman Reedus, in AMC's adaptation of the Walking Dead comic series, is no different than a pop-up ad for AMC arising while I try to use the internet.

So here is my solution to this problem: treat Universe Beyond cards like pop-up ads that arise during the course of a game of Magic, and close them. It's nothing personal, but just like any pop-up ad, if you see a Universe Beyond card played, or used as a commander, do whatever you can to close the ad.

Everyone is welcome at my table, and everyone is free to play what they'd like. But just as you are free to bring forced advertising for me to consume, I am free to try to remove the same advertising. It's nothing personal, and we don't even have to be rude about it.

EDH really isn't about winning anyways, so I'm fine if I don't win as a result of trying to close the pop-up ad. I'll consider like trying to defeat a mini-boss in a dungeon. Next time someone asks if I have combos in my deck, I'll say "Yes! But I only use them to close pop-up ads!"

I hope everyone joins me in trying to remove pop-up ads from games of Magic. They haven't been there for 25+ years, so let's do our best to keep It that way.

https://ift.tt/3zhHSXL Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment