Wednesday, September 30, 2020

High thoughts on my final rewatch-UNR

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Hello if you're reading this. Don't mind me, I just wanted to write out some of my thoughts as I prepare to end my final rewatch for who knows how long, and I'm feeling sentimental af. Today, I've managed to watch the second half of season 8 (skipping all Billie/Christie/most demon scenes) interspliced with moments of going back to watch specific scenes throughout s1-5 (especially s1-3) to supplement and fatten up my feelings of sentimentality and nostalgia before I watch the finale.

My main takeaways:

1) how much I love Paige. Honestly she annoyed the ever living fuck out of me during most of her Brody phase and ALL of her Richard phrase, but I really appreciated her relationship with Henry on this watch. I also felt like Paige's love life was way more interesting to watch than Phoebe's (sorry Phoebe had no redeeming factors during this rewatch, her character seriously declined throughout s3/4ish and beyond, I love whoever coined PhoeMe). I like how little details from the past are remembered throughout the series, like how when Norman Reedus was her secretly married boyfriend and w/ Kyle and Henry, she immediately asks them if they're married when they're about to divulge their secrets/hesitations with her.

side note: since I mentioned PhoeMe, One thing that majorly bothered me was them trying to jam Phoebe's Eternal Quest for Love down my throat. I liked how Paige's love story didn't feel too forced (I do wish they brought Henry in earlier though, it still felt like they were trying to condense too much in too short a frame. & Paige finally learning how to heal with Henry (I also just realized their last names, Mitchell and Matthews ... and Simon's last name too lol). In general, I felt like Phoebe' likeability for me plummeted after about midway through season 3ish and just got progressively worse. I kinda feel like all the characters backslid in likeability for me, but Phoebe's was the most pronounced and she is definitely my least favorite of the 4.

2) The sisterly love. Even though I couldn't watch most of her scenes without rolling my eyes, I did love the moments between Phoebe and Piper in the later seasons (esp. s8), bc it felt like true moments of sisterhood, and that feeling started lacking for me after Prue's death. This then leads me to:

3) PIPER the real MVP - Prue is hands down my fave, has always been & will always be. But this final rewatch made me realize what an amazing actress HMC is when it comes to conveying emotions. When Piper cries, I cry, and I think Piper is the heart of the show. I really felt for Piper at the second half of season 8 with Leo gone and an unknown battle looming on the horizon, and her baby sister is moving out to leave Piper alone in the house she grew up in, with none of the occupants with whom she grew up. Watching Piper and Phoebe say goodbye when Phoebe finally moved out was such a nice scene and it felt like I was saying goodbye too.

4) Prue & Piper had my favorite sisterly dynamic of the 4 total sisters. I liked watching the sisters' individual storyline more often than not but I loved the moments that Piper and Prue shared. Especially the little sisterly moments, like in Heartbreak City. (but in general I enjoyed most all scenes that only features 2 sisters as I felt like the scenes usually helped build on their relationships which were the most interesting part of the show for me).

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. I'm going to watch the final episode now ),:

https://ift.tt/3l2mRsJ Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment