Friday, April 30, 2021

Helluva Boss Episode 5 Review-UNR

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Episode 5 is now here, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Dare I say, it was better than episode 2, but that’s not what this post is about. I’m going to be giving my genuine review of episode. I’m going to be looking at this episode as objective as possible and without any bias. I’m going to be doing this episode different from my other reviews, and format it in a different way. I think that’s everything, so let’s get started.

First and foremost, Striker was definitely the star of this episode. The amazing voice work of....wait who voiced him? Holy shit, Norman Reedus. I’m not the biggest fan of the walking dead, but Norman is a good name to have and here, he killed this role. It’s nice to finally have an antagonist in this show that isn’t so over the top. His design is probably my favorite of the imps, and the snake theme he has going on really improves his character.

Next let’s talk about Millie’s family. Once again we have Edward Bosco voicing a demon, that may not be as epic as Alastor or The Marauder, but still a demon none the less. The mother was basically a gender bend of the father with no traits that make her stand out, but that’s not really what this episode was about so I can give a pass on that. The only other member we see is her sister (who I don’t think was even named) and while very minor, she had some good lines. I could have done without the disapproving parents stereotype with Moxxie since it’s cliched at this point and we all knew where it was going and how it was going to end. It was handled decently, but I think Viv and Brandon could have done more.

I haven’t really talked about it in any of my reviews, but the lighting was really well done and really set the mood. The team did really well in that regard.

This episode is mainly going to be compared to episode 2, because of it’s constant hell setting. The main reason why I liked this episode more than episode 2 besides Striker (sorry Fizz, but I’m going to need more from you) is the location. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Loo Loo Land and the greed ring, but the wrath ring had the better visuals, lighting, and impact. The wrath ring is actually part of the plot since the festival plays a big role what with the attempt assassination of Stolas. In episode 2, Loo Loo Land was kind of just there and had some distracting elements from the main focus being Stolas’s broken family and didn’t really impact it as much as it should have. Hell, the only redeeming factor of Loo Loo Land I can think of is the introduction of Fizz, and even he didn’t impact the story. My main point here, is that episode 5 has a better setting.

The voice acting is as good as ever. Norman Reedus was amazing, Brandon Rogers was amazing, Richard Horvitz was amazing, and Bryce Pinkham was......ok. That’s my main criticism here. The lines from Stolas (especially in the first few minutes of the episode) just sounded a little off and so think the scratch audio was better. Everything after the conversation between Blitzo and Stolas was fine, but then again, there were only 3-5 sentences after that.

The thing with the special gun Striker has is all well and good, but I think it could have been foreshadowed, which would have made the reveal better.

Ok. Moxxie using his gun to get out of the basement was fine, but I think it was kind of pulled out of his ass. The Moxxie part of this episode was mainly about how he isn’t the strongest. I think the scene here would have been better if took a moment to show that Moxxie’s real skill was his brains since that was foreshadowed when he went off about the history of guns, but for some reason they didn’t go with that. By the way, about Moxxie not using his gun during his brawl with Striker......Viv and Brandon, just because you point out a plot hole, it doesn’t mean it’s immediately fixed.

Before I move on to the last part of this review, I want to talk about the animation. The animation was incredible as always for a YouTube web series, but in this episode it looked like the frames really dropped on a few shots, especially during the first scene and the part after Stolas ins introduced by Wally. Is this just me or......?

Ok. Now, let’s talk about that ending. I love me a good twist, and while it wasn’t exactly foreshadowed amazingly, the reveal in of itself was really good. It didn’t give me chills or anything (nothing has been able to do that to me since Code Geass), and it wasn’t close or anything, but I still really liked it. While it wasn’t really foreshadowed, I think it’s still a really good twist.

Final Verdict- I really enjoyed this episode and is my favorite yet. Can’t wait to see what episode 6 had in store. In my opinion, this episode an 8.9/10 or an A-

Thanks for reading

https://ift.tt/2RcmIcH Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment