Friday, April 16, 2021

Death Stranding is a special game to me, and here’s why.-UNR

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

I first played Death Stranding around New Years of 2019. I had first received it as a Christmas present, and I had also gotten the Collectors Edition (My first ever collector’s edition for a game in fact.) It had also distracted me while my mother was in the hospital around the time.

I had seen some of the trailers for the game and loved how much the characters resembled real people, and it really looked cinematic. It was even more impressive for me, as I am a film major in college.

This was my first ever Kojima game, and I started it with an open mind. I was captivated from the beginning. From the atmosphere, to the music, and even the gameplay, it was one of those games where I didn’t want to stop, like a MULE experiencing cargo high.

I loved the delivery aspect of the game and thought it was really different from most games. Despite hauling a bunch of cargo to the clients, I felt that each one was helping me connect with them. I also like how Monster Energy was included in the game, as my name is Kyle irl (Kyle’s and Monster Energy are a sort of meme/stereotype that I find hilarious.) I do enjoy a can every now and then.

When I first got to the central region, I got started building the roads as soon as I could, when the regions opened up on the chiral network, finishing off with Mountain Knot City. I had also started playing the game before Photo Mode was launched, so I wasn’t able to capture some interesting moments as I saw fit.

I really enjoyed the gameplay, even the combat. Since the game is primarily about defending people, I liked the aspect that having to get involved in combat is secondary, and should not be done unless you are in real danger. I also particularly enjoyed fighting the BTs, as the control scheme in my opinion, made it like you were face to face with death itself. It gave me the feeling that I need to fight for survival.

I finished the game in March of last year, the ending left me in tears. It had felt like I was witnessing something genuine, and despite playing for so long, I didn’t want it to end. I also love the nod to the End of Evangelion at the end, which I found disturbingly fitting. Interestingly, I finished the game seven before the covid lockdown in my state was announced, which I found to be like a kind of foreshadowing.

I played the game on my birthday last year, which is actually tomorrow (April 17th.) I thought it was one of the most beautiful birthday scenes directed at the player, and I’d love to see more of these.

I got back to playing in December of last year, to try for some of the other trophies and to also try out photo mode more. I had a fun time like I did when I first started, and I even played on Christmas for the special email. I was trying for the trophies, but something had happened later on that made me feel the need to obtain the platinum.

In January, I received the news that a girl I was close with had passed away, and she was a huge fan of Norman Reedus, especially in Death Stranding. It built up my resolve to eventually obtain the platinum trophy in her memory. Staying up until 3-4 in the morning on some nights, until I eventually got the Legend of Legends trophy. I even colored one of my vehicles in the game as like a memorial for her. With that I felt like I had honored her memory. Rest easy.

This game really made me appreciate connecting with people like no other, and for that, I’m grateful to have played it. I’d love to try the PC version, and step back into the experience.

https://ift.tt/3e8bYUq Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment