Tuesday, July 26, 2022

I just finished Death Stranding and I'm amazed by Mads Mikkelsen and his performance-UNR

https://ift.tt/RZPqg7K

You know this feeling of emptiness when you finished a game, often when it took some pressure mentally? It's hitting me right now.

I like Hideo Kojima work in general. So when i heard about death stranding, i was excited. I had no PS4 though, so i tried not to look too much about it in case I'd play.

May 2020, the world in under a pandemic, I've a stable job, i decided to buy a PS4 and i had to buy this game at first.

I play it a bit. I'm liking it. But i have tendencies to buy other games, then dropping what I'm playing. I was at the chapter 3 i think. I was like "I'll finish an other time"

Took me two years. I bought a PS5 in February, and, of course, i had to take the directors cut. I play a bit. Chapter 3 and... Well, i got distracted by other games as well.

My daughter was born two weeks ago. We come back home and in fact, between the naps, I've time to play. I reboot it and want to finish it. I binged the game from episode 3 to the end in like 4 days. That's exhausting.

I've really liked the game. The feeling of emptiness and loneliness is well done. But God, i loved to find a ladder that someone left to help. Or to see the roads and generators. I really get what Kojima wanted to do, and i feel he succeeded. We are really trying to help to rebuild the world together and it makes the game better.

I found the game a bit long. I spent too much time in the snow and that was not fun. On the other hand, you really have some liberties about how to reach your destination. I didn't like much the mechanic with the ghost, i prefered to get taken and to fight to be done.

The story is a bit complicated. I will admit i didn't understand everything and i will read about. The cast is alright, a bit cliché, with the names that are obvious, but they have a character and one dimension at least.

I also really enjoyed the boss fights in general. For Higgs, i almost feel that could have been what Kojima expected for Snake vs Grey Fox in Metal Gear 2, except there were no mine field.

The titan was fun and once again, i reminded me his previous work, i felt i was 12 and facing a Metal Gear Rex. I loved that the ghosts of the friends sent me weapons.

Special mention to the last map. I felt i was tired and i was like "god it will be big". I wasn't. perfect size and felt like an horror movie. But coming back the two maps after that was so anything. Luckily we built some roads. But yeah the last two chapters were long.

But the highlight of the game was clearly Mads Mikkelsen and Cliff. That was perfect. His acting was top notch and i felt so emotionally invested. All the cutscenes where he talks to the baby. You really feel the emotions of the man trying to hold on something. When he celebrates the birthday or pretend to be Santa Claus. It's so... Sad and powered. I couldn't stop after that. I had to play. I had to have the closure.

I really liked the fights with him..i got the mechanic right and that was fun. But his own arc was so powerful and it made the ending so strong. I did shed some tears near the end. i felt attached to the baby too. But that's maybe a bit personal after the birth. But yeah, mikkelsen really carried the game for me. Norman Reedus did a good job but Mads was above everything. I think they did a great job with the motion capture and the sound recording, and lines delivering. It's the first time I'm that impressed by a performance in a game.

Overall, that was a good experience, with a few parts dragging but a exceptional Mads Mikkelsen.

https://ift.tt/0G2PVCr Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment