Sunday, July 31, 2022

Control is the game I thought Death Stranding was going to be-UNR

https://ift.tt/XPYymsc

I downloaded this game for free on a very popular gaming subscription service and WOW! This is one of the most incredible and psychedelic gaming experiences I've ever had within the medium.

Soooo... let's start off with the elephant in the room. When I first saw the trailer for Death Stranding, I wasn't too keen on someone famous such as Norman Reedus being the protagonist, as I felt that took me out of the story, but the game looked gripping enough to excuse whatever misgivings I may have had about it. Fast forward to release date and we get the most hyped walking simulator of all time. Thought some did indeed enjoy it, it wasn't everyone's of tea, including yours truly.

Flash forward a few weeks ago when my console offers their own gameplay membership to rival other already existing platforms. I don't recall where I first got the recommendation to play 'Control' but boy am I not only glad I did so, but also glad I kept going, as for a moment, I thought this game may have been an Until Dawn-esque-type game.

If you haven't played this game, I don't want to give too much away, as this game is an experience. But I'll start off by saying, don't start the game thinking it's just a walking simulator. It isn't. Or that it's just being weird for the sake of weird. I mean, it may just be that, but there's like hundreds of environmental storytelling which may disprove that, so I cannot say for sure. Also, you'll eventually get some cool psychic powers and the power of Flight (Levitate) never gets old!

So, what does this game have that Death Stranding seemed to lack based on it's original trailer? Boy, I'm glad you asked. Let's list a few things:

  • Weird for the sake of weird, check.
  • Weird for the sake of story, check.
  • A gripping story which involves the paranaturnal, extradimensional entities + more.
  • A great cast of characters, including one person in particular, who really deserves their own spinoff game.
  • A secret government organization tasked with investigating the paranatural, centered around the protagonist and their reason for being there.
  • Non-Euclidean geometric environments.
  • Lovecraftian entities

I cannot praise this game enough. As I mentioned, I played for free, but this is one of those games I want to set aside money for to support so we can see similar games in the future. I cannot think of anything quite like it, as I missed playing the previous games which were made by the same studio. In watching reviews after playing it, a lot of people have made the same claim they "took the concept of S.C.P. and built a game around it" which I see as a pro more than a con. Also, the game has one of the best levels I've ever played in any game. If you've already played, you know exactly which one! :).

Also, if you've played the game, I'm curious if you are on the same page in which character deserves their own game. It's truly a case of a side character stealing the show IMHO.

https://ift.tt/bNXSPos Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment