Sunday, February 5, 2023

Follow up to my recs-UNR

https://ift.tt/TtLHImj

On Friday I asked for horror movies with 90's and early 2000's aesthetics for a solid weekend binge. As usual, your recommendations did not disappoint. I checked out a few that piqued my interest and figured I'd give my thoughts and open discussion for the recs I got... went from least to top favorite.

My original post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/comments/10sy54m/movies_with_glaring_90searly_2000s_aesthetic/

Vampire Clan 2002 [Tubi]- Based on an unfortunate true story but this was a chore to sit through. Acting actually wasn't that bad but cringe doesn't even begin to describe Rod. What a cock. Pretty to look at though, asked for hot goth babes and got it with this one. I ended up in a rabbit hole about the "vampire killings" but I'll turn to true crime for that. Not sure how innocent Heather is. Gore was decent as well but gotta wait until the third act.

Gossip 2000 [HBO]- Every single 2000 trope known to man. Classic twist with epic performances (Lena Headey, James Marsden, Norman Reedus & Kate Hudson?!) It was good, but not horror so I can't steer anyone in that direction here. Including this in the list cause I saw a few comments saying they love 2000 films. So if you're into that, look no further, this absolutely slaps.

Hellraiser: Hellworld 2005 [HBO]- Super goth. Had nuns and religious context (I have to ask, does anyone know the meaning of catholic imagery in 90's/2000s movies??) THE STYLE. Absolutely loved it.

Soul Survivors 2001 [Tubi]- Had all the classic tropes, plot felt a bit thin but payed off in the end. Luke Wilson was a priest which felt weird (again, what's with the religious subtext?) he had a decent twist. Two hot girls covered in paint ending up in a shower... Very 00's. Bag guy from American Beauty killed it (Wes Bentley). Ending was PURE cheese. Badass costume design.

The Curve 1998 [Tubi]- I got a crush on Matthew Lillard all over again. It was giving me everything I needed. No fluff, plot was articulated from the title card like my fav late 90's movies. Loved the part where he was asking the counselor what makes someone appear suicidal and she starts talking about period pieces, Scandinavian films and any movie by a first time writer/director. Keri Russel's hair. The soundtrack. That ending. Bauhaus spooky riffs all throughout?! enough said. My fav of the bunch.

All of these are less than 90 minutes which is why I love that era. Everything was awesome, exactly what I wanted and movies I didn't include here were still dope. Thanks for the recs.

https://ift.tt/wXBEMI6 Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment