Sunday, March 14, 2021

An Idea for a Silent Hill Series-UNR

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Hello everyone! A little while ago I was watching a review on the two Silent Hill movies by the Youtuber Ryan Hollinger, and it got me thinking. While the movies did poorly, and strayed from the original material, I don't think it's impossible to make an live action Silent Hill. Difficult, absolutely yes, but not impossible to make an at least a descent live action. Here's a how to.

Also forgive me if I rant, but I really want to at least write this down in some form or another. Also if I'm forgetting something, or if you think if there is anything add let me know!

To start things off, instead of condensing Silent Hill into a movie, let's make it a series. Anyone can agree that Silent Hill has a TON of lore! And it'll take time to even scratch the surface of that lore. Making Silent Hill a series will help with that. Gives you time to flesh out both stories and the characters. So much better than condensing it into an hour and a half film.

Second is to NEVER be afraid to torment the audience. The movies felt too 'clean'. Especially if you compare it to the games. There is a lot of disturbing things in the games. It was like the movies were too afraid to push the envelope. I would personally add those visceral moments. But don't just focus on the creepy visuals or the monsters. Yes they're disturbing but the main focus should be the characters and the goal should be to emotionally and mentally destroy them. And by doing that you destroy the audience.

Third: I believe the series could benefit if you introduce multiple characters. Each one with their own motivations and reasons being in the beloved foggy little ghost town. But they shouldn't all meet up...at least not yet. The characters should have some space, to isolate them. The town is an entity itself, show how big it is. Also this will help contribute to destroying the characters. To instill the feelings of loneliness and helplessness, to the point it crushes them. When a meeting between characters does happen I would imagine two things could happen. 1) they would cling onto each others like a life preserver or 2) they destroy one another. After all Silent Hill is an unforgiving place.

Fourth: While I'm not against to adding original characters to an already popular series (Look at Daryl from TWD) I understand it is necessary to add familiarity to this Silent Hill series. But I don't want to immediately go to classic cliche characters like Harry Manson or James Sunderland. They have the most note worthy stories in the series, I would focus on lesser known characters or ones that takes the sidelines to the main character. Two characters I would like to see fleshed out is Angela and Eddie from the second Silent Hill game. Though a bit of their background was explored in the game, I still think it would be a fun idea to see their characters explored, fleshed out, and plummet once they enter Silent Hill. I also personally did like Murphy Pendleton from Downpour. I feel like his character is pretty relatable, after all who wouldn't want to get revenge on their son's murderer. Also the guilt and emotional trauma that comes with murdering someone who has hurt someone you love I find somewhat interesting. Also because I love him so much, I would love to see the character Walter Sullivan make an appearence. He is such an interesting and charismatic character you can't help but love/hate and feel sympathy for. Also because I'm still salty for the cancellation of Silent Hills...Add Norman Reedus...I don't know what his character motivation is, or what the story of that game is...he just needs to be here!!

4.2) Also while we're on the topic of 'original characters' for the series, here's an idea for that. Personally I would like to see two conflicting characters from The Order. One member of the Order who embraces the ritual and practices that their religion gives them, and the other conflicted and questioning his faith. I think by doing this we'll get a very good insight on what's going on inside this cult and its going ons. I would also think these two characters would play off wonderfully with one another.

What's important to keep in mind about the characters is that there is a reason why they are here. And it's also must be known that these people are not innocent.

Fifth: We need not forget the sweet music from Akira Yamaoka. Silent hill is a living breathing entity. The music gives it life. It's full of sorrow, anguish, and a little hope. Silent Hill is simply not Silent Hill without Akira's classic soundtrack.

Ultimately Silent Hill is a nightmarish series, but it's also a very human story. How we destroy ourselves and each other. But it's also about how we overcome. A story of Damnation and Redemption. This is the the core of Silent Hill. But keep in mind...not everything is black and white and not everyone can be redeemed.

There might be a few things I have forgotten to add. If so I'll edit this. But if you have a few ideas feel free to add, I would love to hear it.

https://ift.tt/3liH4fm Tuned For Everything Norman We Don't Mess Around when it comes to things pertaining to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment