Death Stranding is a very creative and articulate name for this game. But whilst playing, a few more possible names came into my mind as to what could explain this game just a little bit better. First, Walking with Norman Reedus. Just like his series on AMC, Riding with Norman Reedus, where you can ride around with him on his motorcycle, traveling to different locations and learning about biker culture. This game seems to be a lot like that, but with walking instead of biking. There is an abundance of things to discover in this world when walking around with Reedus too, from grass to rivers to mountains and even more grass, rivers, and mountains! In Death Stranding, you get to walk around with Norman Reedus, delivering packages and other interesting things like "smart drugs" and human corpses. Another name that, in my opinion is better than the actual name itself, is Cut Scene. Throughout my playtime of this game (around 3 hours), the majority of the game was cut scenes. In between each cut scene there is a great amount of game-play. Before the next cut scene begins, you get a WHOPPING 5 minutes of game time before being transferred to the next cut scene! I got to play for a whole 30 minutes out of my 3 hours of actual game-play!
When this game was announced, I was very excited to see Norman Reedus as the main character. Don't get me wrong. Reedus was a great choice to play the main character, Sam Porter Bridges. Sam is a man of isolation. He doesn't like human interaction, whether it be touch or emotional. He is a very independent man and when he develops an emotion about another human, he becomes very uncomfortable, which I think Reedus plays very well. This is definitely not a knock at Norman Reedus or any of the other actors in this game. They all did great at what they were told to do...act.
Hideo Kojima is known for his strange and unusual ideas and game-play. This game takes the cake when it comes to unusual and might even take it to a whole new level. On a serious note, this game made no sense for the first hour I was playing, and much of it still doesn't. There is nothing exciting throughout the game and with the only plot of the story being to deliver weird packages with a fetus hanging on your chest, I had to force myself to play for as long as I did. I eventually got to the point where the second mission begins. After accepting this, I checked my map to see where I needed to go. I had to go back to the same place I JUST WAS! The place I just came back from!
Death Stranding is an all time low for the gaming industry in the 21st century and probably one of the worst, most boring games I have ever played...and I am one of the least picky people when it comes to games (which is not what this game seemed like. More like a movie with an occasional chance to play something, than a game).
The hype for this game was nowhere close to how the game actually is. With all the walking, talking, walking, talking, etc., the hype was no match to what this game really is! Long story short, if you enjoy walking simulators or watching your $64.94 game more than you like playing them, then this is the game for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment